Hello BMHA Members,
As you can guess, there will be some changes to the sport we love but we continue to work on developing solutions that will get our BMHA players back on the ice in fun yet safe manner. Recently, both BMHA and PCAHA released return to hockey plans, which can be found on the COVID-19 Updates page on our website. In summary, some key highlights from the plans include:
- Start of season will be focused on skill development until Thanksgiving – may be extended
- Game play may be permitted after Thanksgiving within cohort structure
- Tournament blackout period until November 30 – may be extended
- PCAHA will base decisions on viaSport guidelines
BMHA & City of Burnaby
- All ice participants should stay at home if sick
- Players are to enter the arena fully dressed (minus their skates) with personal water bottles filled and clearly labelled with the player’s name. Goalies are the exception to this and may finish getting ready and putting on their pads indoors. Hockey gear bags are permitted in the arena however changerooms are locked. Players are to carry a personal hygiene kit containing hand sanitizer, facial tissue, and a mask to use if or when necessary.
- There is no access to dressing or referee rooms, stands, showers, nor the water bottle filling stations (City of Burnaby)
- No more than 15 total individuals on the ice surface at one time (City of Burnaby)
- No Spectators are permitted at this time. Parents and Guardians are to remain on the arena grounds. If your player shows symptoms of illness, you will be contacted to enter the rink and take them home immediately.
As noted in BMHA’s Return to Hockey Plan, there will be an increased need for volunteers to help and ensure the season runs smoothly. If you can help, please contact email@example.com.
At this time of the year, we would be letting everyone know about the schedule for the start of the season & rep tryouts and your groupings. While we may not yet have all the details, the following is planned:
- August 22 to September 4: Our preseason camps/clinics have been filling up quickly! There are still some spots left in some of the camps – please visit the Camps/Clinics page of the website for more information and to register.
- Tuesday, September 8: Ice times start for the various divisions (note: there will be no early morning ice times from Sept. 8 to 11).
- For Junior Bulldogs/Wildcats, U7, U9 and U11 & Older “C/House” divisions – the Executive and Division Managers are working on the schedule and groupings for the first few weeks of the season. We hope to have this available & posted on the website on August 29.
- For U11 & Older Rep Tryout participants – We have extended the deadline to sign-up for Rep Tryouts until August 31. The Executive and Rep Tryout Committee are working on the schedule and groupings for the start of the season, and it is anticipated that tryout evaluations will take place starting September 19. We hope to have this posted on the website by September 5.
Again, as you can all appreciate, the information and dates provided may have to change subject to any updates by the various governing bodies (Hockey Canada, BC Hockey, BC Hockey, viaSport, health authorities, City of Burnaby) and current conditions.
Thank you for all your continued patience and support during this time and we look forward to seeing the players on the ice soon!
- BMHA Executive