ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Date: Thursday, June 15, 2023
Time: 7:00 pm (final on-line checks of eligibility will take place at 6:30 pm)
Location: Virtual Meeting – Zoom Conferencing
The VIRTUAL AGM will be open to ELIGIBLE MEMBERS ONLY as outlined in the By-Laws (this includes parents of registered players, officially rostered team staff and approved committee members):
- All must be members currently in good standing
- Only parents/guardians who formally submitted their names (maximum of two per family) during the 2022/23 player registration period will be eligible to attend and vote at the meeting.
Virtual AGM Instructions
PRE-REGISTRATION FOR THIS MEETING IS REQUIRED TO ATTEND THIS MEETING. TO PRE-REGISTER, PLEASE GO TO THIS LINK:
- Following the pre-registration process the Credentials Committee will review all individuals who wish to attend the meeting.
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting the day before the event.
- Again, only those members who meet the eligibility criteria will be permitted to attend the meeting.
- In order to be prepared to attend the meeting using the Zoom Conferencing platform, please make sure that you are familiar with the program and that your computer system is ready. To do this, please use this test link: https://zoom.us/test . There will be very limited opportunity to provide technical assistance on the day of the meeting.
As per our BMHA By-Laws, the following Articles pertain to membership for this Annual General Meeting:
3.2 Classes of Membership
There will be three (3) classes of voting Membership in the Association, being:
(a) regular Members;
(b) contributing Members; and
(c) Honourary Life Members.
3.3 Regular Membership
A Person may be a regular Member if he or she:
(a) is 19 years of age or older; and
(b) is either: (i) a Player; or (ii) the Parent or Guardian of a Player for whom the annual registration fee has been paid, provided that, in all cases:
(c) Membership shall be limited to two Parents or Guardians per child, it being understood that a Member having more than one child registered in the Association shall have no greater rights as a Member than a Member having only one child registered in the Association;
3.4 Contributing Membership
A Person may be a contributing Member of the Association if he or she:
(a) is 19 years of age or older and is an Association Committee Member or rostered Association team official; or
(b) has demonstrated, by his or her active volunteer service to the Association in the preceding 12 months, a commitment to advancing the purposes and supporting the activities of the Association as approved by the Executive.
If there is any dispute as to whether a Person is a Contributing Member, the issue will be referred to the Executive for consideration and a decision. This will be done once pre-registration has been completed.
The order of business at the Annual General Meeting will be:
a) Call to Order and introductions
b) Adoption of the agenda
c) Approval of the minutes of the previous General Meeting
d) Director Reports
e) Presentation of the financial statements
f) Committee Reports
g) Election of Officers
h) New Business
- Special Resolutions
- All BMHA Executive Committee, Support Staff and Financial Reports will be posted on the BMHA website in the near future for review by the full membership.
- Please refer to the BMHA website to review the current BMHA Constitution and ByLaws.
NOTICE OF SPECIAL RESOLUTIONS
Please refer to the BMHA website to review and reference the current BMHA Constitution and By-Laws.
The following special resolution is being proposed for approval at the meeting of the members of the Burnaby Minor Hockey Association (the Society) to be held on June 15, 2023.
RESOLVED AS SPECIAL RESOLUTIONS that:
Burnaby Minor Hockey Association Bylaws:
Resolution # 1 – Part 14 – COMPLAINTS, DISCIPLINE AND APPEALS – 14.3 – President to provide report to the Executive
Change the current wording to:
If a complaint cannot be resolved informally by the President with the complainant and the alleged offender, the President will bring the complaint forward for review at the next scheduled meeting of the Executive. If the complaint raises issues that are, in the President’s view, time sensitive and/or cannot wait to be addressed at the next scheduled Executive meeting, the President has the discretion to immediately refer the complaint to the Discipline Committee. A designate appointed by the President may be utilized at any point in this process.
Rationale: The addition of the underlined wording aligns the complaint process with other related procedures permitting a designate to be appointed by the President. This will allow for a more efficient and timely process in dealing with complaint issues.
Resolution # 2 – HOUSEKEEPING
The Directors of the Society, or designate, be given the authority to make miscellaneous changes to the Bylaws in order to correct any errors in grammar, punctuation, page numbering, Bylaw numbering, in the Table of Contents, gender reference and to correct any errors in context and position references which may have been inadvertently overlooked.
NOMINATIONS TO THE 2023/24 BMHA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Nominations are being accepted for the following BMHA Executive Committee positions:
- Director of “C” Hockey
- Director of “A” Hockey
- Director of Female Hockey
- Director of Coaching & Development
- Director of Volunteers
Overview of job descriptions for the positions up for election are as follows:
** Treasurer – Oversight of the finances of the Association.
** Director of “C” Hockey – Oversight of the integrated “C” Hockey programs for the U11 to U21 age divisions
** Director of “A” Hockey – Oversight of the integrated Representative Hockey programs
** Director of Female Hockey – Oversight of the female hockey programs
** Director of Coaching & Development – Oversight of the coaches and development programs
** Director of Volunteers – Oversight and development of initiatives to engage members in various volunteer roles
For information, following is an update of all BMHA Executive Committee positions for the 2023/24 season including when the particular term ends, the intention of current board members and if nominations are being accepted:
- President – Current President Cheryl Reesor intends to fulfill term ending at AGM 2024
- Vice-President People – Current Vice-President People Andrew Spence intends to fulfill term ending at AGM 2024
- Vice-President Risk – Current Vice-President Risk Douglas Leung intends to fulfill term ending at AGM 2024
- Vice-President Programs – Current Vice-President Programs Joe Rocchetta intends to fulfill term ending at AGM 2024
- Treasurer: Term ending. New nominees welcome. Current Treasurer Rob Pritchard intends to seek re-election to term ending AGM 2025
- Director of “C” Hockey – Term ending. New nominees welcome. Current Director of “C” Hockey Keith Renfrey intends to seek re-election to term ending AGM 2025
- Director of “A” Hockey – Term ending. New nominees welcome. Current Director of “A” Hockey Wendy Godfrey intends to seek re-election to term ending AGM 2025
- Director of Female Hockey – Term ending. New nominees welcome. Current Director of Female Hockey Katie Larson intends to seek re-election to term ending AGM 2025
- Director of Coaching & Development – Term ending. New nominees welcome for term ending AGM 2025
- Director of BMHA Growth – Current Director of BMHA Growth Bill Cunningham intends to fulfill term ending at AGM 2024
- Director of Volunteers – New nominees welcome. Term ending at AGM 2024
The BMHA Nominating Committee is accepting names of those persons who may be interested in putting their name forward for election to the 2023/24 BMHA Executive Committee in accordance with our BMHA By-Laws (Part 8 – Executive):
8.5 Nominations of Directors
A Member in good standing may be nominated for election as a Director in accordance with the following rules and such additional policies as may be established by the Executive:
(a) A nomination must be in writing and signed by the Member being nominated and at least two (2) other Members in good standing;
(b) All nominations must be submitted to the Association at least seven (7) days prior to the call to order for the General Meeting. No nominations from the floor will be permitted.
If you are interested in putting your name forward for election to any of the above-noted BMHA Executive Committee positions, please forward your intention to the BMHA Nominating Committee at email@example.com as soon as possible and a nomination form will be forwarded to you. Thank you!
If you have any questions please forward them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
Larry Hayes | Executive Administrator/Secretary
Burnaby Minor Hockey Association