Hello BMHA Members,
As mentioned in our last update to the membership (emailed and posted to the website on Aug. 23), some key highlights included:
- Tuesday, Sept. 8 – Ice times start for the various divisions (note: there will be no early morning ice times until Sept. 12); rep tryout participants will attend ice times starting Sept. 8 but tryout evaluations will take place starting Sept. 19.
- Start of the season will be focused on skill development
- Game play may be permitted after Thanksgiving within a cohort structure
- All ice participants should stay home if sick
- Players are to enter the arena fully dressed (minus their skates); Goalies are the exception to this and may finish getting ready and putting on their pads indoors).
However, as you can appreciate, the landscape for BMHA and minor sports continues to change according to current conditions. Since the update on the 23rd, viaSport has announced that sport in BC is now in “Phase 3: Progressively Loosen:” As such, BMHA is updating our Return to Hockey Plan and resubmitting it to the City of Burnaby.
As part of the revision, we are asking the City of Burnaby to increase the number of individuals allowed on the ice (currently set at 15). Increasing the number of individuals will help us better utilize use our lesser ice allocation this year (due to the 30 minute breaks between ice times required by the City as opposed to 15 minutes in the past). Until we hear back from the City of Burnaby, hopefully later this week, we cannot let everyone know about their specific grouping and ice times. We hope to have that information available through TeamSnap by Sunday, Sept. 6.
We will be holding an online Townhall on Thursday, September 3rd at 8pm to review the BMHA Return-to-Play plan including all safety protocols and procedures. A link for the meeting will be emailed to all registered players and be posted on the BMHA website.
Our goal is to ensure we are able to provide a fun yet safe environment for our members – to that end, we will need every member of the Association to help make that happen. At this time, we need Hockey Canada Safety Persons and COVID-19 Helpers at every ice time – if these roles are not covered, the ice time will have to be cancelled. Please contact your Division Manager (see below) if you can help.
Thank you for all your continued patience and support!
– BMHA Executive